Job Type: Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
Number of Positions: 1
Start Date: ASAP
FVB Energy Inc. is a consulting engineering firm specializing in district energy and combined heat and power (CHP) systems, with offices in Minneapolis (USA), Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver and Ottawa (Canada). FVB Energy Inc. is the North American subsidiary of the Swedish consulting firm Fjärrvärmebyrån ab (FVB District Energy Inc.).
FVB is committed to aiding communities and institutions find the right alternative energy solutions for their present and future needs. We believe in district heating, district cooling and cogeneration and how these systems connect communities and institutions to a host of energy, environmental and economic benefits.
Intermediate Mechanical Engineer
FVB is seeking an Intermediate Mechanical Engineer to work in our Vancouver office. The successful candidate will support the design and construction team for projects during each stage of development. As an Intermediate Engineer the successful candidate will apply accepted engineering principles to design initiatives.
The Intermediate Engineering position requires a candidate who:
- Is comfortable working on multiple projects at different stages at any given time
- Possesses excellent communication and time management skills
- Is self-motivated and able to work as part of a team or individually
- Assist the mechanical engineering team in the technical design of energy plants, distribution piping and building interface projects
- Assist with preparation of feasibility studies
- Support estimating and costing of projects
- Apply previous knowledge and experience to design projects.
- Work with CAD designers to ensure all drawings are accurate
- Liaise with the clients, consultants, contractors and vendors to coordinate, share project information and/or discuss project and design related problems
- Take responsibility of completing specific design tasks:
- Hydraulic analysis
- Small equipment selection (heat exchangers, pumps, piping, control valves, expansion and pressurization tanks)
- Design calculations (pipe and duct sizing, stack sizing, annual energy consumption calculations, etc.)
- Preparation of construction and tender documents for small projects
- Assist in the selection of energy plant equipment (chillers, boilers, gensets, cooling towers, heat exchangers, etc.)
- Assist in the preparation of specifications and drawings for large projects
- Play key role in preparation and issuance of equipment tender packages, tender process, bid evaluation and recommendation report
- Conduct site visits for construction supervision and project commissioning services and issue reports
Minimum Experience / Education Requirements
• Bachelor Degree of Science or Engineering, specializing in Mechanical Engineering
• Professional registration with EGBC (Engineers and Geoscientists of BC), or eligible
• 7-10 years’ experience in an engineering position preferably in the HVAC or energy industry
• Project management experience
• Proficiency working in a Microsoft Office environment
• Excellent written and oral English communication skills
• Experience with hydronic based HVAC design
• Experience with geo-exchange, heat pumps, biomass, and/or other alternate energy technologies
• Experience in district cooling or heating design or construction
The FVB Energy Vancouver office is located in Burnaby, BC.
Salary is commensurate with experience and skill. FVB offers a comprehensive benefits package to all full-time employees.
If you are interested in working for FVB Energy Inc. please email your resume with covering letter, subject heading “Intermediate Mechanical Engineer – Vancouver” to: email@example.com
We thank all candidates for showing interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies or phone calls please.