Job Type: Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
Number of Positions: 1
Start Date: ASAP
FVB Energy Inc. is a consulting engineering firm specializing in district energy and combined heat and power (CHP) systems, with offices in Minneapolis (USA), Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver and Ottawa (Canada). FVB Energy Inc. is the North American subsidiary of the Swedish consulting firm Fjärrvärmebyrån ab (FVB District Energy Inc.).
FVB is committed to aiding communities and institutions find the right alternative energy solutions for their present and future needs. We believe in district heating, district cooling and cogeneration and how these systems connect communities and institutions to a host of energy, environmental and economic benefits.
Senior Civil Engineer (Buried Utilities)
FVB is seeking a Senior Civil Engineer to work in our Vancouver office. The successful candidate will support the design and construction team on projects at each stage of development. As a Senior Civil Engineer the successful candidate will develop and apply accepted civil engineering principles to design initiatives.
FVB’s projects are largely mechanical in nature; the successful candidate will support the primarily mechanical engineering team at FVB by adding specific civil expertise to projects as applicable, as well as taking on some mechanical tasks.
The Senior Engineering position requires a candidate who:
- Is comfortable working on multiple projects at different stages at any given time
- Possesses excellent communication and time management skills
- Is self-motivated and able to work as part of a team or individually
- Assist the engineering team in the technical design of district heating and district cooling buried piping systems, including stamping of design documents
- Assist with preparation of district energy feasibility studies, proposals, and miscellaneous work. These projects may be mechanical focused with civil components.
- Support estimating and costing of projects
- Apply previous knowledge and experience to design projects
- Review the work of Intermediate and Junior Engineers
- Work with CAD designers to ensure all drawings are accurate
- Liaise with the clients, consultants, contractors and vendors to coordinate, share project information and/or resolve project and design related problems
- Take responsibility of completing specific design tasks:
- Hydraulic analysis
- Buried utility design (e.g. establish pipe routing, resolve interferences, coordinate with other utilities and stakeholders, specify details, specify reinstatement requirements, etc.)
- Support design calculations (pipe sizing, pipe stress analysis, regulatory design registration of buried piping systems, etc.)
- Oversee the preparation and issuance of equipment tender packages, tender process, bid evaluation and recommendation report
- Develop and modify project specifications and drawings for projects
- Conduct site visits for construction review, administration and project commissioning services and issue reports
- Provide mentorship to other FVB engineering and technical staff.
- Coordinate work deliverables with FVB Energy’s Engineering Manager.
Minimum Experience / Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree of Science or Engineering, specializing in Civil Engineering or equivalent experience in municipal utility or pipeline engineering
- Professional registration with EGBC (Engineers and Geoscientists of BC), or eligible
- 10-20 years’ experience in an engineering position in the civil, municipal utility or pipeline engineering sector
- Significant experience in the design and construction of buried utility or pipeline infrastructure
- Project management experience
- Proficiency working in a Microsoft Office environment
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- Experience with bonded pre-insulated pipe design systems
- Experience with industrial or commercial HVAC mechanical systems
The FVB Energy Vancouver office is located in Burnaby, BC.
Salary is commensurate with experience and skill. FVB offers a comprehensive benefits package to all full-time employees.
If you are interested in working for FVB Energy Inc. please email your resume with covering letter, subject heading “Senior Civil Engineer – Vancouver” to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all candidates for showing interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies or phone calls please.