Junior Mechanical Technologist or Engineer
Location: Burnaby, BC
FVB Energy is a leading consulting engineering firm specializing in sustainable energy solutions. FVB designs and develops European style District Energy Systems.
FVB’s expertise lies in the study, design and construction of District Heating and Cooling systems. We are looking for a junior mechanical technologist or engineer with a sound design and drafting background and the ability to fulfill various roles within a project. Our specialist team of engineers have a genuine interest in using environmentally responsible energy sources such as combined heat and power, biomass, and waste heat recovery.
FVB is seeking a Junior Technologist or Engineer to work in our Burnaby office. The successful candidate will support the design and construction team for projects during each stage of development. As an employee of FVB Energy, the successful candidate will apply accepted engineering principles to design initiatives. The position requires a candidate who:
- Is comfortable working on multiple projects at different stages at any given time
- Possesses excellent communication and time management skills
- Is self‐motivated and able to work as part of a team or individually
- Assist the mechanical engineering team in the technical design of thermal energy plants, distribution piping and building energy transfer station projects
- Prepare design drawings using AutoCAD under the direction of the engineering team.
- Assist with preparation of feasibility studies
- Support estimating and costing of projects
- Support completing specific design tasks:
- Hydraulic analysis of buried piping systems
- Small equipment selection (heat exchangers, pumps, piping, control valves)
- Design calculations (pipe and duct sizing, annual energy consumption calculations, etc.
- Preparation of construction and tender documents for small projects
- Assist in the preparation of specifications and drawings for large projects
Minimum Experience / Education Requirements
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Bachelor Degree of Applied Science or Engineering in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Eligibility for registration as an Applied Science Technologist or Graduate Technologist or EIT in British Columbia
- Thorough working knowledge of AutoCAD is required, including experience completing schematic drawings, P&IDs, and piping and equipment layouts
- Previous experience in an engineering position, preferably in the HVAC or energy industry, would be an asset. Good understanding of building HVAC and related mechanical systems (pumps, piping, boilers, heat pumps, etc.) would be beneficial.
- Practical field experience in the construction of plants and installation of process equipment would be beneficial.
- Proficiency working in a Microsoft Office environment.
- Good written and oral English communication skills.
The majority of the design work will be performed at FVB’s offices in Burnaby and on local construction sites. It is likely that some travel will be involved within Canada from time to time.
FVB offers a competitive salary package based on experience.
If you are interested in a forward-thinking career working with like-minded individuals, please submit your CV and cover letter to the contact information below.
FVB Energy Inc.
Please no agency referrals or phone calls. FVB will only contact those individuals selected for an interview.