Position: Intermediate Mechanical Technologist/Designer/Cad Specialist
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Are you looking for a different energy career?
FVB Energy Inc. is a leading consulting engineering firm specializing in district energy and combined heat and power (CHP) systems, with offices in Minneapolis (USA), Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa and Edmonton (Canada).
FVB is committed to aiding communities and institutions find the right alternative energy solutions for their present and future needs. We believe in district heating, district cooling and cogeneration and how they connect communities and institutions to a host of energy, environmental and economic benefits.
We are looking for an intermediate mechanical technologist/designer/cad specialist with a strong design and AutoCAD drafting background, particularly in mechanical HVAC systems, and the ability to fulfill various roles within a project. Our specialist team of engineers have a genuine interest in using environmentally responsible energy sources such as combined heat and power, biomass, and waste heat recovery.
The FVB Ottawa office is looking for a candidate who has strong experience with industrial plant and building HVAC mechanical processes, piping layout, and strong drafting expertise using AutoCAD. The candidate must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented team environment and on individual tasks. As an employee of FVB Energy, the successful candidate will apply accepted engineering principles to design initiatives. The position requires a candidate who:
- Is comfortable working on multiple projects at different stages at any given time
- Possesses excellent communication and time management skills
- Is self‐motivated and able to work as part of a team or individually
- Assist the mechanical engineering team in the technical design of building HVAC systems to be compatible with district heating and cooling systems, plus assist with thermal energy plants, distribution piping and building interfaces.
- Prepare design drawings using AutoCAD under the direction of the engineering team.
- Assist with preparation of feasibility studies
- Support estimating and costing of projects
- Support completing specific design tasks:
- Building HVAC equipment selection for hydronic systems,
- Small equipment selection (heat exchangers, pumps, piping, control valves)
- Design calculations (pipe and duct sizing, annual energy consumption calculations, etc.
- Preparation of construction and tender documents for small projects
- Assist in the preparation of specifications and drawings for large projects
- Assist with administrative duties including mailing, couriering, and filing.
Minimum Experience / Education Requirements
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (eligibility for registration with OACETT) or equivalent experience will be considered
- Thorough working knowledge of AutoCAD is mandatory, including experience working in AutoCAD 3D.
- Strong HVAC design and drafting experience is mandatory.
- Practical field experience in the construction of related facilities would be beneficial.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Security Clearance Certificate (minimum Reliability and Secret Level II preferable) from PSPC (Government of Canada) is mandatory.
- Proficiency working in a Microsoft Office environment.
- Good written and oral English communication skills.
- Ability to speak French is beneficial
Location of work:
The majority of the design work will be performed at FVB’s office in Ottawa and on local construction sites. It is likely that some travel will be involved within Canada from time to time.
FVB offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on experience.
If you are interested in a forward-thinking career working with like-minded individuals, please submit your CV and cover letter by email with the subject heading “Ottawa Technologist” to.
Please no agency referrals or phone calls. FVB will only contact those individuals selected for an interview.